Please do your own searches to learn about uBlock Origin, including the optional added privacy lists like EasyPrivacy and Fanboy’s Annoyances and Social Blocking Lists to use with it. Properly set up, we feel that is all we need. But you may also want to consider Disconnect, Privacy Badger from the Electronic Frontier Foundation, HTTPS Everywhere also from the EFF, and other alternatives. The choice, and the responsibility, is yours.
You are welcome to use as much or as little cookie blocking, script blocking, ad blocking, privacy-enhancer blocking tools as you like. Do understand that the more you block, the worse our site will appear and the fewer functions and features will work.
Our site does use the following 3rd-party services and features to make various things like the comment sections and sharing buttons work, display images more quickly, and yes, give us some anonymous analytical data about where our visitors are coming from, what pages they stay on or leave quickly, where they came from to arrive at our site, and what part of our site they are on when they choose to leave it. We never know WHO you are.
- Google Analytics tracking code and related Google Search Console verification, webmaster tools, site verification, Google+/Google My Business integration.
- Bing webmaster central site verification.
- Twitter site verification and Twitter “widgets” for displaying our latest Tweets.
- Pinterest site verification and Pinterest “widgets”.
- Facebook site verification and Facebook “widgets”.
- Google+ “widgets”.
- StatCounter site visitor statistics tracking code.
- WordPress-dot-com integration to the WordPress cloud for services like WordPress analytics, Jetpack sharing tools that help you share our posts to your social networks, allow login for comments using your existing IDs from social media and blogging networks instead of having to create a new ID here.
- Affiliate sales “widgets” and links, with tracking cookies, for online sales from places you already know and likely trust, such as Amazon, Booking.com, and other major services, along with perhaps lesser-known but we hope useful to you providers of services like Virtual Private Networks to protect your internet privacy, and other services relevant for expats and those thinking of a globally-mobile life.
- “Widgets” from services such as currency exchange rate providers and fuel price providers, or similar consumer financial services, to help those thinking of moving and traveling to understand the costs involved.
- Various 3rd-party sharing and/or commenting add-ons. In the past we have used services from Shareaholic for sharing tools, and from both Disqus and LiveFyre for enhanced commenting, though at the time of this writing we are not using them.
We do not keep any personalized data about any of our site visitors, resulting from any of the above or similar features, cookies, or 3rd-party services. However, if you did choose to use the features to “Subscribe to our posts” or “Subscribe to comments on this post”, we of course have your email address and possibly your name, because, you gave it to us! On request to firstname.lastname@example.org, we will remove that data. Currently that is a manual process, though we may be moving our email subscriptions to a 3rd-party service that will make subscribing and unsubscribing easier for both you and us.